Polls open in French Parliamentary Elections
Paris: French people are casting their ballots in the Parliamentary Elections expected to determine whether new President Francois Hollande`s Socialists or rival conservatives control the government.
The Sunday elections, followed by runoffs a week later, will also show whether Hollande can push his tax-the-rich, down-with-austerity agenda, and how much of a voice the far right will have in policies on immigration and Muslim practices.
The legislative race hasn`t garnered nearly the headlines or drama of the presidential race in April and May, and many polls suggest turnout among France`s 46 million voters could be around 40 percent — far less than in Hollande`s showdown with Nicolas Sarkozy.
The new lower house serves for the next five years — coinciding with Hollande`s five-year term.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond
- Narendra Modi government failed to create jobs, aid agriculture: Congress
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond says Judi Dench
- Give education, equality to girl child, urges Amitabh Bachchan