Polls open in French Parliamentary Elections
Paris: French people are casting their ballots in the Parliamentary Elections expected to determine whether new President Francois Hollande`s Socialists or rival conservatives control the government.
The Sunday elections, followed by runoffs a week later, will also show whether Hollande can push his tax-the-rich, down-with-austerity agenda, and how much of a voice the far right will have in policies on immigration and Muslim practices.
The legislative race hasn`t garnered nearly the headlines or drama of the presidential race in April and May, and many polls suggest turnout among France`s 46 million voters could be around 40 percent — far less than in Hollande`s showdown with Nicolas Sarkozy.
The new lower house serves for the next five years — coinciding with Hollande`s five-year term.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users