Polls open in French Parliamentary Elections
Paris: French people are casting their ballots in the Parliamentary Elections expected to determine whether new President Francois Hollande`s Socialists or rival conservatives control the government.
The Sunday elections, followed by runoffs a week later, will also show whether Hollande can push his tax-the-rich, down-with-austerity agenda, and how much of a voice the far right will have in policies on immigration and Muslim practices.
The legislative race hasn`t garnered nearly the headlines or drama of the presidential race in April and May, and many polls suggest turnout among France`s 46 million voters could be around 40 percent — far less than in Hollande`s showdown with Nicolas Sarkozy.
The new lower house serves for the next five years — coinciding with Hollande`s five-year term.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional