Polls open in historic Latvian language referendum
Riga: Voting stations in Latvia have opened in a historic referendum on whether to make Russian the nation`s second national language.
Latvia`s minority Russians, who make up approximately one-third of the Baltic country`s 2.1 million people, believe that according official status to the Russian language will reverse what they claim has been 20 years of discrimination.
For ethnic Latvians, the Saturday referendum is a brazen attempt to encroach on Latvia`s independence, which was restored two decades ago after the country split from the Soviet Union.
The vote is expected to fail but widen the rift in Latvian society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you