Pope Benedict XVI celebrates 85th birthday at Vatican
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI on Monday celebrated a very Bavarian birthday, marking his 85 years with his brother, German bishops and a musical band from his native land.
Benedict began the day with a Mass in which he alluded to his own mortality, saying he would carry on his final years knowing that God was watching over him.
"I am facing the final leg of the path of my life and I don`t know what`s ahead," Benedict said in his homily. "I know though that God`s light is there ... And that his light is stronger than every darkness."
Benedict was later joined in the Vatican`s frescoed Clementine Hall by about 150 Bavarians, including bishops, political leaders and representatives of the region`s Protestant and Jewish communities.
He was serenaded by 10 children dressed in traditional Bavarian garb who danced for him and recited a poem, and by Bavarian musicians who performed a song he and his siblings sang as children while their father accompanied them on a zither.
A very emotional pope said those gathered "represent for me the stations of my life." Speaking off-the-cuff, he singled out the role played by the Jewish community in Bavaria for "bringing me closer emotionally to the Jewish people."
Sitting nearby was Benedict`s older brother Monsignor Georg Ratzinger, who was ordained on the same day as the pope in 1951 and flew to Rome for this week`s celebrations, which also include the seventh anniversary of Benedict`s election as pope, on Thursday.
Despite his age and increasing frailty -- he has begun using a cane on occasion -- Benedict has quashed speculation of a possible resignation. Yesterday, he asked for prayers and strength "to fulfill the mission (the Lord) entrusted to me."
Cardinal Angelo Sodano issued birthday greetings on behalf of the College of Cardinals that elected Benedict, and welcomed the Bavarian bishops to the "family party" inside the Apostolic Palace.
Speaking in Latin, Sodano wished Benedict "many happy years" ahead -- sentiments that were echoed in birthday greetings that arrived from German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Queen Elizabeth II and Italy`s president.
In Benedict`s hometown of Marktl Am Inn, the faithful marked his birthday by rising at 4:15 am local time -- the time he was born -- and walking from his house to the local church for prayers.
He received several gifts, including a large crucifix, a Maypole, a traditional Bavarian Easter basket and a bunch of white flowers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow