Pope Benedict XVI to stay at summer residence
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI will stay at the papal summer residence outside Rome when he officially steps down Feb 28 before moving into a former nunnery within the Vatican walls, the Holy See announced.
"When renovation work on the monastery of cloistered nuns inside the Vatican is complete, the Holy Father will move there for a period of prayer and reflection," said Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi.
The first pontiff to retire in six centuries has said that he will move out of the papal apartments overlooking St Peter`s Square after he ceases to be Pope at 8 p.m. Feb 28.
He initially stays at the papal summer residence, Castel Gandolfo, a medieval castle beside a lake that is equipped with a swimming pool, where his predecessor the late John Paul II had therapy for Parkinson`s disease.
Eighty-five-year-old Benedict announced Monday that he would resign at the end of the month due to advanced age and frail health. His move took his close aides and the world by surprise.
Lombardi denied that the pontiff was suffering from any particular illness although it has emerged that the Pope underwent surgery to replace his pacemaker three months ago and was advised against long-distance travel.
"I reinterate that there are no specific ailments but rather a weakening due to old age. The replacement of the pacemaker was routine and in no way contributed to the decision that has been taken," Lombardi said Tuesday.
Cardinals hope to elect a new Oope before Easter, March 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town