Pope Benedict XVI`s Twitter account to close as he resigns
Washington: Pope Benedict XVI`s Twitter account, @Pontifex, will also come to an end as he leaves office on February 28, Vatican Radio has reported.
The news may come as a sad blow to the more than two million people who have signed up to follow his tweets in nine languages since his account was launched with fanfare two-and-a-half months ago.
According to CNN, about 1.5 million of those people follow the English language feed, with nearly 700,000 following him in Spanish and just short of 335,000 in Italian.
About 22,500 people follow @Pontifex in Latin.
The account will be closed to coincide with the 85-year-old pope`s formal departure from office at 8 p.m. local time, Vatican Radio added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days