Pope Benedict XVI`s Twitter account to close as he resigns
Washington: Pope Benedict XVI`s Twitter account, @Pontifex, will also come to an end as he leaves office on February 28, Vatican Radio has reported.
The news may come as a sad blow to the more than two million people who have signed up to follow his tweets in nine languages since his account was launched with fanfare two-and-a-half months ago.
According to CNN, about 1.5 million of those people follow the English language feed, with nearly 700,000 following him in Spanish and just short of 335,000 in Italian.
About 22,500 people follow @Pontifex in Latin.
The account will be closed to coincide with the 85-year-old pope`s formal departure from office at 8 p.m. local time, Vatican Radio added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read