Pope Benedict’s butler charged over ‘Vatileaks’
Vatican City: Vatican authorities have formally charged Pope Benedict’s butler with illegal possession of secret documents.
Paolo Gabriele, 46, is suspected of leaking highly sensitive documents addressed to Benedict XVI, which have lifted the lid on alleged corruption and nepotism at the Holy See.
Vatican magistrates said a wider investigation would take place to see if Gabriele had any accomplices who helped him leak them, The Guardian reports.
Gabriele, who has worked as Benedict`s butler since 2006, was taken into custody after investigators reportedly found a mass of documents in the Vatican apartment he shares with his wife and three children.
Some sensitive documents alleged cronyism and corruption in Vatican contracts, in a scandal, which has come to be known as ‘Vatileaks’.
Among the most serious leaks published this year is a letter from Carlo Maria Viganò, the former deputy governor of Vatican City, denouncing inflated contracts with friendly companies, false invoicing and missing cash.
Meanwhile, a government spokesman said that the Rome-born butler is in custody in the Vatican’s cells.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!