Pope Benedict’s butler charged over ‘Vatileaks’
Vatican City: Vatican authorities have formally charged Pope Benedict’s butler with illegal possession of secret documents.
Paolo Gabriele, 46, is suspected of leaking highly sensitive documents addressed to Benedict XVI, which have lifted the lid on alleged corruption and nepotism at the Holy See.
Vatican magistrates said a wider investigation would take place to see if Gabriele had any accomplices who helped him leak them, The Guardian reports.
Gabriele, who has worked as Benedict`s butler since 2006, was taken into custody after investigators reportedly found a mass of documents in the Vatican apartment he shares with his wife and three children.
Some sensitive documents alleged cronyism and corruption in Vatican contracts, in a scandal, which has come to be known as ‘Vatileaks’.
Among the most serious leaks published this year is a letter from Carlo Maria Viganò, the former deputy governor of Vatican City, denouncing inflated contracts with friendly companies, false invoicing and missing cash.
Meanwhile, a government spokesman said that the Rome-born butler is in custody in the Vatican’s cells.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened