Pope Benedict`s official ring cancelled
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI`s gold papal ring, the symbol of his power used to officially seal documents and ensure their authenticity, has been cancelled, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said.
Known as the Fisherman`s Ring, it was due to be destroyed with a special silver hammer after Benedict`s resignation on February 28, symbolising the end of his authority.
Earlier, Claudio Franchi, the goldsmith who crafted the ring, said he hoped his work would not be destroyed once the pontiff stepped down.
"I hope the ring is preserved and exhibited. It is a jewel that has so much symbolic value," Franchi said.
Benedict was the first pontiff since the 19th century to commission a Fisherman`s Ring, which shows St Peter fishing and bore the inscription "Benedictus XVI", the pope`s official title in Latin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof