Pope Benedict`s official ring cancelled
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI`s gold papal ring, the symbol of his power used to officially seal documents and ensure their authenticity, has been cancelled, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said.
Known as the Fisherman`s Ring, it was due to be destroyed with a special silver hammer after Benedict`s resignation on February 28, symbolising the end of his authority.
Earlier, Claudio Franchi, the goldsmith who crafted the ring, said he hoped his work would not be destroyed once the pontiff stepped down.
"I hope the ring is preserved and exhibited. It is a jewel that has so much symbolic value," Franchi said.
Benedict was the first pontiff since the 19th century to commission a Fisherman`s Ring, which shows St Peter fishing and bore the inscription "Benedictus XVI", the pope`s official title in Latin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical