Pope breaks silence over Vatileaks scandal
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI feels betrayed by his butler who was recently arrested for illegal possession of secret documents, a Vatican official has said.
“The pope is a witness to a case which touches him closely. It is a trial for him. He is suffering but also desires to understand, shed light on the matter, and discover the truth,” Pope’s spokesman Federico Lombardi said.
“He is particularly hurt with regard to one person, Paolo Gabriele, who he was close to, who he knew, loved and respected,” Lombardi said in reference to Benedict`s butler, Paolo Gabriele.
Gabriele, 46, was suspected of leaking highly sensitive documents addressed to Benedict XVI, which have lifted the lid on alleged corruption and nepotism at the Holy See, the Telegraph reports.
According to the paper, Italian media have speculated that the leaks could be a part of a power-struggle within the Vatican that aims to replace the Church`s powerful number two, Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone, and maybe even the pope himself.
The documents, which splashed in the national media and published in a book, highlighted many Vatican secrets, including the Church`s tax problems, child sex scandals and negotiations with hardline traditionalist rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof