Pope calls for solidarity between all in New Year`s message
Rome: Pope Benedict XVI called for solidarity between all people in need in his annual New Year`s message on Friday.
Modern times are filled with all manner of suffering and drama, some provoked by human evil, other by nature, said the pope. But God`s message of joy and freedom would also reach all people suffering between the holidays, he added.
As it is done every year, the Te Deum was sung during the service, as thanks for the year that has just ended.
The pope is also expected to give his traditional New Year`s mass at 10 am (0900 GMT) Saturday. New Year`s Day is the church`s traditional World Day of Peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'