Pope calls special synod on the family
Vatican City: Pope Francis has called an extraordinary assembly of the Synod of Bishops next year to discuss the Church`s position with regard to the family, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said on Tuesday.
Due to be held from October 5 to 19, 2014, the synod, or council, entitled "The Pastoral Challenges of the Family in the Context of Evangelisation" is expected to address among other issues the problem of divorcees remarrying.
The announcement came as the Vatican criticised the German diocese of Freiburg for taking steps to allow divorcees to take communion, which is normally forbidden.
Francis, a more moderate pontiff than his predecessor Benedict XVI, has said he wants more discussion on the Church`s relationship with the modern family.
The assembly will be only the third since the synod`s creation in 1965.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest