Pope calls special synod on the family
Vatican City: Pope Francis has called an extraordinary assembly of the Synod of Bishops next year to discuss the Church`s position with regard to the family, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said on Tuesday.
Due to be held from October 5 to 19, 2014, the synod, or council, entitled "The Pastoral Challenges of the Family in the Context of Evangelisation" is expected to address among other issues the problem of divorcees remarrying.
The announcement came as the Vatican criticised the German diocese of Freiburg for taking steps to allow divorcees to take communion, which is normally forbidden.
Francis, a more moderate pontiff than his predecessor Benedict XVI, has said he wants more discussion on the Church`s relationship with the modern family.
The assembly will be only the third since the synod`s creation in 1965.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan