Pope calls special synod on the family
Vatican City: Pope Francis has called an extraordinary assembly of the Synod of Bishops next year to discuss the Church`s position with regard to the family, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said on Tuesday.
Due to be held from October 5 to 19, 2014, the synod, or council, entitled "The Pastoral Challenges of the Family in the Context of Evangelisation" is expected to address among other issues the problem of divorcees remarrying.
The announcement came as the Vatican criticised the German diocese of Freiburg for taking steps to allow divorcees to take communion, which is normally forbidden.
Francis, a more moderate pontiff than his predecessor Benedict XVI, has said he wants more discussion on the Church`s relationship with the modern family.
The assembly will be only the third since the synod`s creation in 1965.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit