Pope cancels salaries of cardinals overseeing bank
Vatican City: In a further sign of his desire for a "poor church", Pope Francis has cancelled the annual stipend of 25,000 euros (around $33,000) paid to each of five cardinals who oversee the Vatican Bank. The Vatican Bank has come under fire in recent years for alleged money laundering, Italy`s AKI news agency reported.
Last year, European regulators said the bank was not doing enough to combat money laundering.
The Holy See also hired a Swiss anti-money-laundering lawyer in its bid to enter a "white list" of states that are said to respect international standards on fighting money laundering and terrorism financing.
A major money-laundering scandal in 2011 led to the ouster of former Vatican Bank president Ettore Gotti Tedeschi by the bank`s five-cardinal board in May last year.
The 76-year-old Pope Francis, formerly Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, said earlier he wanted "a poor church for the poor".
After being elected leader of the world`s 1.2 billion Catholics, the pope explained how he decided to name himself, after St. Francis of Assisi.
When he was elected, a fellow cardinal embraced him and said, "Don`t forget the poor."
"That`s when I thought of Francis of Assisi. And that is how the name came to me: Francis of Assisi, the man of poverty, of peace. This is what I want, a poor church for the poor," the pope said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened