Pope condemns Syria destruction after priest`s murder
Homs: Pope Francis on Wednesday condemned the "destruction" of Syria at a general audience in St Peter`s Square following the murder of a Catholic priest in Homs.
"May the weapons fall silent! No more war, no more destruction," Francis said, expressing his "profound pain" after the killing of Father Franz van der Lugt.
"He was loved and valued by both Christians and Muslims," the pope told some 45,000 faithful assembled on the famous Vatican piazza.
"It filled me with profound pain and made me think of all the people who suffer and die in the martyred country," he said.
Pope Francis has repeatedly called for dialogue and reconciliation in Syria, appealing for the international community to stop supplying arms to the government and the opposition and condemning the threat of military intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price