Pope elevates 24 new cardinals amid cheers
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has formally elevated 24 new cardinals amid cheers in St Peter`s Basilica.
Benedict read each of the names of the "princes of the church" in Latin to roaring applause from the pews and smiles from the cardinals themselves.
The following is the list of the 24 cardinals.
The following clergymen were elevated to cardinals as sign of gratitude to service to church and aren`t assigned to any post.
Wearing their new scarlet cassocks — to signify their willingness to shed blood for the church — the cardinals processed first into the basilica, waving to well-wishers as organ music thundered in a festive yet solemn atmosphere.
During the ceremony, the new cardinals will promise to obey the pope. Their main task is to offer him advice and eventually elect his successor.
There are now 203 cardinals in the elite group, 121 of whom are under age 80 and thus eligible to vote in a conclave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'