Pope elevates 24 new cardinals amid cheers
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has formally elevated 24 new cardinals amid cheers in St Peter`s Basilica.
Benedict read each of the names of the "princes of the church" in Latin to roaring applause from the pews and smiles from the cardinals themselves.
The following is the list of the 24 cardinals.
The following clergymen were elevated to cardinals as sign of gratitude to service to church and aren`t assigned to any post.
Wearing their new scarlet cassocks — to signify their willingness to shed blood for the church — the cardinals processed first into the basilica, waving to well-wishers as organ music thundered in a festive yet solemn atmosphere.
During the ceremony, the new cardinals will promise to obey the pope. Their main task is to offer him advice and eventually elect his successor.
There are now 203 cardinals in the elite group, 121 of whom are under age 80 and thus eligible to vote in a conclave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!