Pope exonerates Jews for Jesus` death in new book
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has tackled
one of the most controversial and critical issues in
Christianity in a new book, making a sweeping exoneration of
the Jewish people in the death of Jesus Christ.
In "Jesus of Nazareth," excerpts of which were released
today, Benedict uses a biblical and theological analysis to
explain why there is no basis in truth to claims that Jews as
a whole were responsible for Jesus` death.
Interpretations to the contrary have been used for
centuries to justify the persecution of Jews.
While the Vatican has long echoed Benedict`s conclusion,
Jewish scholars said the argument laid out by the German-born
pontiff, who has had his share of missteps with Jews, was
significant and would help fight anti-Semitism today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- WATCH: SPINE-CHILLING! Goldberg makes WWE debut, spears The Rock!
- Sharad Pawar's MCA accepts SC verdict in toto, to rewrite constitution
- Ayushmann Khurrana rocks Seattle with his moonwalk, singing! Watch video
- GST bill will continue to rule market sentiments
- Nepali PM KP Sharma Oli appears likely to lose no-confidence vote