Pope exonerates Jews for Jesus` death in new book
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has tackled
one of the most controversial and critical issues in
Christianity in a new book, making a sweeping exoneration of
the Jewish people in the death of Jesus Christ.
In "Jesus of Nazareth," excerpts of which were released
today, Benedict uses a biblical and theological analysis to
explain why there is no basis in truth to claims that Jews as
a whole were responsible for Jesus` death.
Interpretations to the contrary have been used for
centuries to justify the persecution of Jews.
While the Vatican has long echoed Benedict`s conclusion,
Jewish scholars said the argument laid out by the German-born
pontiff, who has had his share of missteps with Jews, was
significant and would help fight anti-Semitism today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!