Pope exonerates Jews for Jesus` death in new book
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has tackled
one of the most controversial and critical issues in
Christianity in a new book, making a sweeping exoneration of
the Jewish people in the death of Jesus Christ.
In "Jesus of Nazareth," excerpts of which were released
today, Benedict uses a biblical and theological analysis to
explain why there is no basis in truth to claims that Jews as
a whole were responsible for Jesus` death.
Interpretations to the contrary have been used for
centuries to justify the persecution of Jews.
While the Vatican has long echoed Benedict`s conclusion,
Jewish scholars said the argument laid out by the German-born
pontiff, who has had his share of missteps with Jews, was
significant and would help fight anti-Semitism today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- AIMIM to move to SC against Bombay HC verdict on allowing women entry to Haji Ali
- Cuteness alert! Meet Deepak Tijori's adorable daughter Samara Tijori – View pics
- Disrupted sleeping habits may cause suicidal thoughts
- US aid to Pakistan shrinks amid mounting frustration over militants
- SC asks Parsvnath to refund home buyers; builder says it can't repay