Pope exonerates Jews for Jesus` death in new book
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has tackled
one of the most controversial and critical issues in
Christianity in a new book, making a sweeping exoneration of
the Jewish people in the death of Jesus Christ.
In "Jesus of Nazareth," excerpts of which were released
today, Benedict uses a biblical and theological analysis to
explain why there is no basis in truth to claims that Jews as
a whole were responsible for Jesus` death.
Interpretations to the contrary have been used for
centuries to justify the persecution of Jews.
While the Vatican has long echoed Benedict`s conclusion,
Jewish scholars said the argument laid out by the German-born
pontiff, who has had his share of missteps with Jews, was
significant and would help fight anti-Semitism today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city