Pope Francis gives church hundreds of new saints
Vatican City: Pope Francis has given the Catholic church hundreds of new saints as he leads a canonisation ceremony in St. Peter`s Square.
Among those upon whom he bestowed the church`s highest honour today are 813 Italians who were martyred in the late 15th century for refusing to convert to Islam as demanded by Turkish invaders of a southern Italian city.
Two others were canonised, a woman who helped Colombia`s indigenous peoples and is now that country`s first saint, and a Mexican woman who helped Catholics avoid persecution during a government crackdown of the faith in the 1920s.
The new saints were all approved for canonisation in a decree read by Pope Benedict XVI on February 11 during the same ceremony in which he announced he was resigning as pontiff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA : What is the reason behind increasing difference between rich and poor?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city