Pope Francis lauds Benedict XVI, warns against self-interest
Vatican City: Pope Francis on Sunday praised his predecessor Benedict XVI`s decision to resign as courageous, and called on pilgrims to follow the former pontiff`s example and put aside their egos to listen to their conscience.
"We have to learn to listen more to our conscience. But wait! This does not mean following our egos, doing what interests me, what is best for me," he told pilgrims gathered to hear his Angelus prayer in St. Peter`s Square.
"Pope Benedict XVI gave us a great example when the Lord made him understand, in prayer, what step he should take," he said, referring to Benedict`s decision in February to resign St. Peter`s chair.
"He followed with a great sense of discernment and courage his conscience, the will of God which spoke to his heart," he added.
Francis`s warning not to let self-interest prevail over integrity came two days after a senior Catholic cleric was arrested for corruption after allegedly plotting to smuggle millions of euros into Italy on a private jet.
The plot was discovered during a wider probe into the scandal-plagued Vatican bank, which the 76-year-old pontiff has determined to reform as part of his fight against corruption within the Roman Catholic Church.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das