Pope Francis refuses to live in papal apartment
London: Pope Francis has opted to stay at a modest two-room residence instead of moving to a grand papal apartment on the top floor of the Vatican`s Apostolic Palace, his spokesman Reverend Federico Lombardi said.
The pope decided to stay in the Domus Santa Marta modern hotel-style residence inside the Vatican City, where he lived with other cardinals during the conclave that saw him elected earlier in the month.
"This morning (Wednesday) he let his fellow cardinals know that he will keep living with them for a certain period of time," Lombardi was quoted as saying by BBC.
Lombardi explained the Pope`s decision as a desire for "a simpler living".
Having refused to move to the palatial penthouse apartment with more than a dozen rooms, staff quarters and a large terrace, Pope Francis broke an over century old tradition.
Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires was elected the 266th pope by the conclave of cardinals on March 13, becoming the first Latin American to lead the Catholic Church.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested