Pope Francis refuses to live in papal apartment
London: Pope Francis has opted to stay at a modest two-room residence instead of moving to a grand papal apartment on the top floor of the Vatican`s Apostolic Palace, his spokesman Reverend Federico Lombardi said.
The pope decided to stay in the Domus Santa Marta modern hotel-style residence inside the Vatican City, where he lived with other cardinals during the conclave that saw him elected earlier in the month.
"This morning (Wednesday) he let his fellow cardinals know that he will keep living with them for a certain period of time," Lombardi was quoted as saying by BBC.
Lombardi explained the Pope`s decision as a desire for "a simpler living".
Having refused to move to the palatial penthouse apartment with more than a dozen rooms, staff quarters and a large terrace, Pope Francis broke an over century old tradition.
Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires was elected the 266th pope by the conclave of cardinals on March 13, becoming the first Latin American to lead the Catholic Church.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly