Pope Francis sets up committee to fight child sex abuse
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Vatican City: Pope Francis has set up a committee prevent child sex abuse in Catholic churches and help the victims. The committee was set up after a meeting between the Pope and his eight cardinal advisers.
Archbishop of Boston Sean O`Malley, who was one of the eight members of the council, said that the composition of the newly form committee for protection of children will be announced in near future.
Earlier, the United Nations had requested for information on alleged abuse by priests, nuns or monks to which the Vatican refused.
O`Malley said that the committee could come up with guidelines for Church officials in individual countries on how to deal with misconduct.
Pope Francis said that it is important to deal with the issue of child sex abuse as it`s vital for the Church`s credibility.
There has been a raft of allegations of child sex abuse by priests around the world in Catholic Churches.
Earlier this year, the Pope has toughened the laws on child sex abuse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan