Pope Francis sets up committee to fight child sex abuse
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Vatican City: Pope Francis has set up a committee prevent child sex abuse in Catholic churches and help the victims. The committee was set up after a meeting between the Pope and his eight cardinal advisers.
Archbishop of Boston Sean O`Malley, who was one of the eight members of the council, said that the composition of the newly form committee for protection of children will be announced in near future.
Earlier, the United Nations had requested for information on alleged abuse by priests, nuns or monks to which the Vatican refused.
O`Malley said that the committee could come up with guidelines for Church officials in individual countries on how to deal with misconduct.
Pope Francis said that it is important to deal with the issue of child sex abuse as it`s vital for the Church`s credibility.
There has been a raft of allegations of child sex abuse by priests around the world in Catholic Churches.
Earlier this year, the Pope has toughened the laws on child sex abuse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?