Pope Francis sets up committee to fight child sex abuse
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Vatican City: Pope Francis has set up a committee prevent child sex abuse in Catholic churches and help the victims. The committee was set up after a meeting between the Pope and his eight cardinal advisers.
Archbishop of Boston Sean O`Malley, who was one of the eight members of the council, said that the composition of the newly form committee for protection of children will be announced in near future.
Earlier, the United Nations had requested for information on alleged abuse by priests, nuns or monks to which the Vatican refused.
O`Malley said that the committee could come up with guidelines for Church officials in individual countries on how to deal with misconduct.
Pope Francis said that it is important to deal with the issue of child sex abuse as it`s vital for the Church`s credibility.
There has been a raft of allegations of child sex abuse by priests around the world in Catholic Churches.
Earlier this year, the Pope has toughened the laws on child sex abuse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says