Pope greets Queen Elizabeth
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has sent a message to Queen Elizabeth II, congratulating the British monarch on the Diamond Jubilee of her coronation, the Vatican said Wednesday.
"I write to offer my warmest congratulations to your majesty on the happy occasion of the Diamond Jubilee of your reign," the Pope said in his message.
"During the past 60 years, you have offered to your subjects and to the whole world an inspiring example of dedication to duty and a commitment to maintaining the principles of freedom, justice and democracy, in keeping with a noble vision of the role of a Christian monarch," said the message dated May 23.
Benedict met the Queen during his visit to Britain in September 2010.
Elizabeth is a direct descendent of King Henry VIII, who broke away from the Roman Catholic Church to form the Church of England in 1534.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter