Pope greets Queen Elizabeth
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has sent a message to Queen Elizabeth II, congratulating the British monarch on the Diamond Jubilee of her coronation, the Vatican said Wednesday.
"I write to offer my warmest congratulations to your majesty on the happy occasion of the Diamond Jubilee of your reign," the Pope said in his message.
"During the past 60 years, you have offered to your subjects and to the whole world an inspiring example of dedication to duty and a commitment to maintaining the principles of freedom, justice and democracy, in keeping with a noble vision of the role of a Christian monarch," said the message dated May 23.
Benedict met the Queen during his visit to Britain in September 2010.
Elizabeth is a direct descendent of King Henry VIII, who broke away from the Roman Catholic Church to form the Church of England in 1534.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III