Pope hits out at `war to sell arms` in Syria prayers
Vatican City: Pope Francis on Monday lashed out at what he termed "commercial war to sell arms" as he led mass prayers in Saint Peter`s Square for Syria.
In his traditional weekly prayers in front of an unusually large crowd of faithful in the Vatican, the leader of the world`s 1.2 billion catholics called for his followers to "say no to violence in all its forms, to the proliferation of weapons and their illegal trade."
In a departure from his prepared text, the pope asked what were the reasons for wars such as the one raging in Syria and mentioned "commercial war to sell arms."
"I invite you to continue to pray for the violence and devastation to stop! Let us work with a renewed commitment for a just solution to the internecine conflict," Francis told the crowd.
Yesterday, Francis led Catholics worldwide in a day of fasting and prayer for peace in Syria joined by Jews, Muslims and Orthodox Christians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’