Pope is joyous about beatifying John Paul II
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI said Sunday that everyone who knew or admired John Paul II shares his joy that he will beatify his predecessor on May 1 — a ceremony in St. Peter`s Square that could bring 2 million people into Rome.
Beatification is the last major step before possible sainthood.
The ceremony, a week after Easter, is expected to draw huge crowds, according to Rome authorities rushing to ready the capital for the event. John Paul`s funeral in 2005 saw nearly 3 million faithful flock to the Vatican.
"On May 1, I`ll have the joy of proclaiming blessed the venerable John Paul II, my beloved predecessor," Benedict said, speaking from his studio window overlooking the square, where tourists and pilgrims gathered to receive his traditional Sunday blessing.
"All those who knew him, all those who esteemed and admired him, cannot help but rejoice with the church for this event," the pontiff said.
Many pilgrims will come from John Paul`s homeland of Poland. Benedict told the Poles in the square that he shares their joy over the announcement Friday of the beatification.
"This news was much awaited by everyone" and in a particular way by Poles, because John Paul had been "their guide in faith, in truth and in freedom," Benedict said.
The 1978-2005 papacy of the first Polish-born pope is credited with helping to bring the end in the late 1980s to decades of communist rule in Eastern Europe, particularly through his staunch championing of the Solidarity labor movement in Poland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui