Pope John Paul II `regularly whipped himself`
London: Pope John Paul II used to whip
himself regularly with a trouser belt that he had kept in his
wardrobe and signed a secret document saying he would resign
if he became "incurably ill", a new book has revealed.
In the new book, `Why a Saint?` by Monsignor Slawomir
Oder, the Vatican "postulator" in-charge of the late Pontiff`s
canonisation process, has claimed the Polish-born Pope whipped
himself as an act of penance and self-flagellation as a bishop
in Krakow and continued to do so after he became the Pope.
"As members of the Pope`s close entourage heard with
their own ears, Karol Wojtyla used to flagellate himself. In
his wardrobe, among his vestments, there hung on a clothes
hanger a special belt for trousers which he used as a whip,"
the British media quoted Monsignor Oder as saying in the book.
He has also claimed that self-flagellation performed
by the Pope, who has been put on the fast track to sainthood
by the Vatican, was "an instrument of Christian perfection"
emulating the sufferings of Jesus Christ.
The fact that Pope John Paul, who died five years ago,
whipped himself in bodily penance was first claimed last year
by Sister Tobiana Sobodka, a Polish nun who worked in his
Vatican apartment and at the papal summer residence at Castel
Gandolfo in the hills south of Rome.
"Several times he would put himself through bodily
penance. We`re in the next room at Castel Gandolfo. You could
hear the sound of the blows when he flagellated himself," the
Sister had claimed.
Msgr Oder has also claimed in the book that John Paul,
had also decided that in the event of an "incurable sickness"
he would voluntarily step down as Pope rather than staying on
in office until his death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!