Pope John Paul II `whipped himself regularly`
London: Pope John Paul II, who died four years ago at the age of 84, regularly whipped himself in "remorse for his sins", a nun has claimed.
Pope John Paul is being considered for sainthood by the Catholic Church. And, as part of Vatican`s investigation, thousands of documents have been collected and examined by officials from the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.
Among them is the testimony of Polish nun Tobiana Sobodka, of the Sacred Heart of Jesus order, who worked for Pope John Paul in his private Vatican apartments and at his summer residence in Castel Gandolfo near Rome.
Sister Sobodka said: "Several times he (Pope John Paul) would put himself through bodily penance.”
"We would hear it -- we were in the next room at Castel Gandolfo. You could hear the sound of the blows when he flagellated himself. He did it when he was still capable of moving on his own."
The flagellation is also confirmed by another bishop who has given testimony, Emery Kabongo, who for several years was a secretary for Pope John Paul, leading Italian newspaper `La Stampa` reported.
"He would punish himself and in particular just before he ordained bishops and priests. Before passing on the sacraments he wanted to prepare himself. I never actually saw it myself but several people told me about it," he said.
However, a Vatican spokesman was quoted by the British media as saying, "The investigation and documentation is still secret and as such we can make no comment on it until the final report is published."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- Mulayam, Akhilesh scared of me; not allowing Muslim leaders in SP to speak up, alleges Asaduddin Owaisi