Pope John Paul II`s coffin taken out of tomb
Vatican City: Late pope John Paul II`s
coffin was brought out of its resting place in a crypt under
Saint Peter`s basilica on Friday ahead of a ceremony that will put
him one step from sainthood.
Vatican Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone and Krakow
Archbishop Stanislaw Dziwisz, the former secretary to the
pope, held a brief ceremony in front of the coffin before it
was carried a short distance to the tomb of Saint Peter.
The coffin will stay where it is until Sunday, when it
will be brought into the basilica for the ceremony, after
which pilgrims will be able to file past it.
It will then be sealed inside a monument on Monday in
the basilica itself in the chapel of Saint Sebastian near
Michelangelo`s famous Pieta statue.
The stone that covered John Paul II`s grave while it
was in the crypt will be sent to Krakow to be placed inside a
new church dedicated to the pope.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- In or out? Did Sidhu really quit BJP and join AAP!
- Rajnath Singh sends out stern message to Pakistan, says 'we don't need third party in Kashmir'
- Declare India a 'Hindu state', says Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray
- AN-32 search still on, ISRO satellite imagery sought
- What is the purpose of human life—Know here!