Pope leads Palm Sunday procession at Vatican
Vatican City: Tens of thousands of Romans, tourists and pilgrims have joined Pope Francis in a solemn Palm Sunday service in St Peter`s Square.
Under cloudy skies, Francis celebrated Mass on the steps of the square as the crowd spread out before him. Faithful clutched olive tree branches, tall palm fronds or tiny braided palm leaves shaped like crosses.
Palm Sunday begins Holy Week, which culminates next Sunday on Easter. Francis used a pastoral staff made of wood carved by Italian prison inmates, who donated it to him.
The pope is determined to put people on the margins of life at the centre of the Roman Catholic church`s attention.
Francis wore red vestments, symbolising blood shed by the crucified Jesus. On Friday, he`ll preside at the Colosseum Way of the Cross procession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'