Pope makes sensitive trip to Cyprus
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI departs on Friday on a sensitive three-day trip to Cyprus, a visit likely to be coloured by shock over the killing in Turkey of a bishop who had been scheduled to meet with the pontiff.
Cyprus, an island divided between ethnic Turks and Greeks, is viewed by the Vatican as a bridge between Europe and the Middle East. The pope`s visit is expected to be a key test of whether the pontiff has found his diplomatic feet after his linking of Islam to violence during a speech in Germany led to outrage in the Muslim world, and nearly forced the cancellation of a trip to Turkey in 2006.
His meeting with church officials from across the region could, however, be overshadowed by the death of Bishop Luigi Padovese, the church apostolic vicar in Anatolia, who was killed the day before he was to fly to Cyprus. Officials have identified the killer as the bishop`s driver and say it was not politically motivated.
The Vatican spokesman, the Rev Federico Lombardi, said Padovese`s killing shows the "difficult conditions" the Catholic community faces in the Middle East.
The pope is meeting in Cyprus with prelates from the region to set an agenda for an October meeting in Rome to build a strategy to stem an exodus of Catholics from the Holy Land, Iraq and elsewhere because of violence and economic hardship. The Middle East includes ancient Christian communities.
The October meeting shows "how the universal church is in solidarity with this community”, Lombardi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city