Pope meets Catholics sexually abused by clergy
Vatican City: Pope Francis has held his first meeting with a group of Catholics who were sexually abused by clergy.
Vatican spokesman the Rev Federico Lombardi said two Irish, two British and two German victims met separately today for about 30 minutes apiece with Francis at the pope`s Vatican hotel. None of the victims attended Lombardi`s briefing with reporters. Lombardi said Francis had already greeted the six yesterday evening at dinner.
Other abuse survivors not at the meeting contended the encounter won`t ease complaints that the Vatican has failed to punish bishops and other prelates who systemically covered up the abuse of minors. A German survivor advocacy spokesman, Norbert Denef, called today`s meeting "nothing more than a PR event."
Before Francis, Pope Benedict met several times with abuse victims, starting in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor