Pope meets Catholics sexually abused by clergy
Vatican City: Pope Francis has held his first meeting with a group of Catholics who were sexually abused by clergy.
Vatican spokesman the Rev Federico Lombardi said two Irish, two British and two German victims met separately today for about 30 minutes apiece with Francis at the pope`s Vatican hotel. None of the victims attended Lombardi`s briefing with reporters. Lombardi said Francis had already greeted the six yesterday evening at dinner.
Other abuse survivors not at the meeting contended the encounter won`t ease complaints that the Vatican has failed to punish bishops and other prelates who systemically covered up the abuse of minors. A German survivor advocacy spokesman, Norbert Denef, called today`s meeting "nothing more than a PR event."
Before Francis, Pope Benedict met several times with abuse victims, starting in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump