Pope meets Catholics sexually abused by clergy
Vatican City: Pope Francis has held his first meeting with a group of Catholics who were sexually abused by clergy.
Vatican spokesman the Rev Federico Lombardi said two Irish, two British and two German victims met separately today for about 30 minutes apiece with Francis at the pope`s Vatican hotel. None of the victims attended Lombardi`s briefing with reporters. Lombardi said Francis had already greeted the six yesterday evening at dinner.
Other abuse survivors not at the meeting contended the encounter won`t ease complaints that the Vatican has failed to punish bishops and other prelates who systemically covered up the abuse of minors. A German survivor advocacy spokesman, Norbert Denef, called today`s meeting "nothing more than a PR event."
Before Francis, Pope Benedict met several times with abuse victims, starting in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday