Pope meets Catholics sexually abused by clergy
Vatican City: Pope Francis has held his first meeting with a group of Catholics who were sexually abused by clergy.
Vatican spokesman the Rev Federico Lombardi said two Irish, two British and two German victims met separately today for about 30 minutes apiece with Francis at the pope`s Vatican hotel. None of the victims attended Lombardi`s briefing with reporters. Lombardi said Francis had already greeted the six yesterday evening at dinner.
Other abuse survivors not at the meeting contended the encounter won`t ease complaints that the Vatican has failed to punish bishops and other prelates who systemically covered up the abuse of minors. A German survivor advocacy spokesman, Norbert Denef, called today`s meeting "nothing more than a PR event."
Before Francis, Pope Benedict met several times with abuse victims, starting in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border