Pope meets with Holy Land rabbi, imam, Druse
Vatican City: Top Muslim, Jewish and Druse religious leaders in Israel have met with Pope Benedict XVI for the first time and said they reject all violence in God`s name.
The delegation from the Council of Religious Leaders in Israel also called on Thursday for authorities to guarantee access to holy sites for all the region`s believers.
The council was established in 2007 in Jerusalem to bring together Christian, Muslim and Jewish representatives to promote peace and interfaith cooperation in the Holy Land.
Israeli chief rabbi Yonah Metzger praised the "historic" nature of the audience with the German-born pope and noted that it fell on the anniversary of the Kristallnacht, or "Night of the Broken Glass”, the Nazi`s 1938 anti-Jewish pogrom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city