Pope ordains new bishops, including Chinese
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI is ordaining five new bishops, including a Chinese prelate who is the No 2 in the Vatican`s missionary office.
The elevation of Monsignor Savio Hon Tai-Fai, a 60-year-old Salesian prelate from Hong Kong, comes as relations between the Holy See and Beijing have hit a low point over the Chinese state-backed church`s ordination of bishops without papal consent.
Hon was recently named secretary in the Vatican`s Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples. He has said his high profile job shows the pope`s love for China.
Saturday`s Mass in St Peter`s Basilica began with a reading in Chinese.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16