Pope ordains new bishops, including Chinese
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI is ordaining five new bishops, including a Chinese prelate who is the No 2 in the Vatican`s missionary office.
The elevation of Monsignor Savio Hon Tai-Fai, a 60-year-old Salesian prelate from Hong Kong, comes as relations between the Holy See and Beijing have hit a low point over the Chinese state-backed church`s ordination of bishops without papal consent.
Hon was recently named secretary in the Vatican`s Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples. He has said his high profile job shows the pope`s love for China.
Saturday`s Mass in St Peter`s Basilica began with a reading in Chinese.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test