Pope ready to meet sex abuse victims
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI is ready to meet the victims of child sex abuse by Catholic priests and bishops, the Vatican has said.
"Apart from paying attention to the victims, we should continue to put into effect decisively and honestly the relevant judicial and canonical procedures against those responsible and collaborate with civilian judicial and penal authorities," Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said.
He added that many abuse victims were seeking moral help and wanted justice. In the past, the Pope met victims of abuse at the Vatican and on trips to the US and Australia.
The Catholic Church has been engulfed by allegations of child sex abuse that has emerged across Europe and the US. The allegations have put pressure on the Church in countries including the Pope`s native Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Austria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"