Pope ready to meet sex abuse victims
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI is ready to meet the victims of child sex abuse by Catholic priests and bishops, the Vatican has said.
"Apart from paying attention to the victims, we should continue to put into effect decisively and honestly the relevant judicial and canonical procedures against those responsible and collaborate with civilian judicial and penal authorities," Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said.
He added that many abuse victims were seeking moral help and wanted justice. In the past, the Pope met victims of abuse at the Vatican and on trips to the US and Australia.
The Catholic Church has been engulfed by allegations of child sex abuse that has emerged across Europe and the US. The allegations have put pressure on the Church in countries including the Pope`s native Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Austria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note