Pope ready to meet sex abuse victims
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI is ready to meet the victims of child sex abuse by Catholic priests and bishops, the Vatican has said.
"Apart from paying attention to the victims, we should continue to put into effect decisively and honestly the relevant judicial and canonical procedures against those responsible and collaborate with civilian judicial and penal authorities," Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said.
He added that many abuse victims were seeking moral help and wanted justice. In the past, the Pope met victims of abuse at the Vatican and on trips to the US and Australia.
The Catholic Church has been engulfed by allegations of child sex abuse that has emerged across Europe and the US. The allegations have put pressure on the Church in countries including the Pope`s native Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Austria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users