Pope sees Easter as time of pardon and truth
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has said Easter brings a message of pardon, goodness and truth to a suffering world but he has made no mention of the clergy abuse cover-up scandals that are buffeting him and his church.
The Urbi et Orbi Easter message is one of two major speeches the pope gives every year to the general public.
Applause rang out in St Peter`s Square as Benedict concluded a Mass during which a senior cardinal praised him as a courageous leader and dismissed the allegations as petty gossip.
Benedict decried the suffering of Christians in Pakistan and elsewhere because of religious persecution. He also recalled the hardships of earthquake victims in Haiti and Chile and denounced violence emanating from drug trafficking in Latin America.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars