Pope `to make first Holy Land trip in May`
Jerusalem: Pope Francis is to make a brief visit to Israel and the Palestinian territories from May 25, his first to the Holy Land, Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot said on Thursday.
According to the top-selling daily, which published what it said was a preliminary papal programme, Israeli authorities are unhappy with the brevity of the 48-hour visit and the fact that the prelate will not celebrate mass in Israel, but in the West Bank city of Bethlehem, Christ`s traditional birthplace.
Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said he could not comment on travel plans.
"It is in the first instance up to the pope himself to decide upon and to announce such a visit," he told a news agency.
But he said that officials had made preparatory "contacts and a site visit".
A trip could be announced by the Vatican in the weeks following Christmas, an official said on condition of anonymity.
Yediot said that a Vatican delegation made a preparatory visit to Israel this week.
The pope`s itinerary was yet to be finalised, the paper said, but he was expected to arrive in Israel from neighbouring Jordan on the morning of May 25 and meet Israeli President Shimon Peres, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and heads of local religious communities.
He would visit Christian and Jewish holy sites and the Yad Vashem Holocaust in Jerusalem but would not go to the northern Israeli Arab city of Nazareth or other sites in the Galilee region.
Yediot said that the pope was to visit Bethlehem on May 26.
He was invited to visit the Holy Land by Peres in April, and by Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas, who met him on October 17.
In a Christmas message delivered on Wednesday, the Latin patriarch of Jerusalem Fuad Twal said that Pope Francis "cares about the Holy Land and the Middle East".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre