Pope to meet top Syrian opposition leader
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI will meet a top leader of the Syrian opposition at his summer residence near Rome.
George Saba, member and spokesman of the Syrian National Council, will be one of 120 delegates to a gathering of international Christian democrats who will be received by the pope.
Saba`s attendance at the gathering follows a request delivered by the papal envoy in Lebanon, Monsignor Gabriele Caccia, during the pontiff`s three-day visit to the country last week.
During his visit to Italy, Saba will also meet other senior Vatican officials.
Benedict made an appeal for peace in Syria during an open-air mass in Beirut.
The Pope urged nations especially Arab countries to halt the "grim trail of death and destruction" plaguing Syria and the Middle East.
His appeal came amid stalled international efforts to end the 18-month conflict between Syrian rebels and forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad, that has killed over 20,000 people, according to the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon