Pope to meet top Syrian opposition leader
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI will meet a top leader of the Syrian opposition at his summer residence near Rome.
George Saba, member and spokesman of the Syrian National Council, will be one of 120 delegates to a gathering of international Christian democrats who will be received by the pope.
Saba`s attendance at the gathering follows a request delivered by the papal envoy in Lebanon, Monsignor Gabriele Caccia, during the pontiff`s three-day visit to the country last week.
During his visit to Italy, Saba will also meet other senior Vatican officials.
Benedict made an appeal for peace in Syria during an open-air mass in Beirut.
The Pope urged nations especially Arab countries to halt the "grim trail of death and destruction" plaguing Syria and the Middle East.
His appeal came amid stalled international efforts to end the 18-month conflict between Syrian rebels and forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad, that has killed over 20,000 people, according to the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan