Pope to visit Brazil slum, meet young offenders
Vatican City: On his first foreign trip as pontiff, Pope Francis will tour a Rio de Janeiro slum in July and meet juvenile offenders, the Vatican said.
During the July 22-29 trip, the Pope will visit the Manguinhos slum, meet young inmates and also visit a hospital. The Pope will also attend the six-day World Youth Day event, which is expected to draw over 2.5 million people to Brazil.
He will visit the National Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida, considered a patron of Brazil, the world`s most populous Catholic country. Aparecida is some 240 km from Rio.
Latin America is home to 40 per cent of the world`s 1.2 billion Catholics. The Pope will also bless the flags for the 2016 Olympics taking place in Brazil.
- Kejriwal govt vs Centre: Delhi High Court seeks response from Modi governnment
- Indian Premier League: Here's what original mystery spinner Paul Adams said about Shivil Kaushik!
- 'Deal between PM Modi and Italy to fix Sonia Gandhi': BJP moves privilege motion against Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Nine Taliban militants killed in IED blast in Afghanistan's Badakhshan province
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! When Australian all-rounder James Faulkner turned Gujarati for a day