Pope to visit Brazil slum, meet young offenders
Vatican City: On his first foreign trip as pontiff, Pope Francis will tour a Rio de Janeiro slum in July and meet juvenile offenders, the Vatican said.
During the July 22-29 trip, the Pope will visit the Manguinhos slum, meet young inmates and also visit a hospital. The Pope will also attend the six-day World Youth Day event, which is expected to draw over 2.5 million people to Brazil.
He will visit the National Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida, considered a patron of Brazil, the world`s most populous Catholic country. Aparecida is some 240 km from Rio.
Latin America is home to 40 per cent of the world`s 1.2 billion Catholics. The Pope will also bless the flags for the 2016 Olympics taking place in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress