Pope to visit Philippines disaster victims
Manila: Pope Francis is to visit the Philippines, Asia`s bastion of the Catholic faith, in January 2015 to comfort victims of disasters including Super Typhoon Haiyan, local church leaders said Monday.
Specific details of the trip were not released, but Manila`s Archbishop Luis Tagle said the pope viewed Asia as crucial in spreading the faith.
Tagle said the pontiff had told him during a recent meeting at the Vatican that "Asia is important for evangelisation".
"The Christian population of Asia may be numerically small but it is significant," he quoted the pope as saying.
The planned visit comes as the Philippines struggles to recover from a series of disasters in 2013 that claimed thousands of lives.
In November, Super Typhoon Haiyan the most powerful storm to make landfall in history left about 8,000 dead and millions homeless, devastating communities across the central Philippines.
A month earlier, a 7.1 magnitude earthquake destroyed many historic churches and killed more than 200 people, also in the central region.
"Our compassionate shepherd comes to show his deep concern for our people who have gone through devastating calamities," said Socrates Villegas, head of the Catholic Bishops` Conference of the Philippines.
"Pope Francis comes to revive our drooping spirit and to lead us to greener pastures," he told reporters.
The visit would be the fourth by a pope to the Philippines, where more than 80 percent of the 100 million-strong population are Catholics.
Tagle said a delegation from the Vatican had visited Manila and Tacloban to check on logistics for the papal visit. Further details will be released in August.
The bishops said there were security, infrastructure and logistical concerns to be addressed, while the health of the 77-year-old pope is also an issue.
Pope Francis was forced to pull out of a visit in Rome late last month, with his spokesman citing "the intense pace" of the pontiff`s schedule by way of an explanation.
Francis, who became leader of the world`s Catholics after the unprecedented retirement of his predecessor Benedict XVI last year, will make his first visit to Asia as pope when he travels to South Korea next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi