Pope urges halt to Syria conflict
Beirut: Pope Benedict XVI on Friday described himself as a "pilgrim of peace" and called for an end to the civil war in Syria.
Starting his three-day visit to Lebanon Friday, the Pope said: "I have come to Lebanon as a pilgrim of peace, as a friend of God and as a friend of men."
The first Pope to visit the country in 15 years, Benedict described the Arab Spring as "a desire for more democracy, for more freedom, for more cooperation and for a renewed Arab identity".
"Let me assure you that I pray especially for the many people who suffer in this region," he said.
The pontiff said Syrian arms imports were a "grave sin" and called for an end to the conflict.
He praised Lebanon, which has 18 different religious groups, as an example of religious "coexistence".
"The successful way the Lebanese all live together surely demonstrates to the whole Middle East and to the rest of the world that, within a nation, there can exist cooperation between the various Churches... coexistence and respectful dialogue between Christians and their brethren of other religions," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India