Pope wanted priests `to have sex’
Melbourne: Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, had as a young priest, signed a memorandum suggesting Vatican to relax celibacy rules.
He reportedly thought it would attract more people to become priests.
According to AdelaideNow, Father Brian Lucas, general secretary of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, said there was a range of opinions on the matter.
He said the present mind of the Vatican was to keep the current practice, despite a perceived shortage of priests.
"Shortage is a relative term,” news.com.au quoted Father Lucas as saying.
"The discipline and practice of celibacy would be an obstacle for some. Others see it as important," he said.
In a similar tone, Father Dean Marin, director of vocations for the Adelaide Archdiocese, said the priesthood was a way of life.
“By remaining celibate, the priest witnesses to the possibility of living totally for God,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery