Pope wanted priests `to have sex’
Melbourne: Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, had as a young priest, signed a memorandum suggesting Vatican to relax celibacy rules.
He reportedly thought it would attract more people to become priests.
According to AdelaideNow, Father Brian Lucas, general secretary of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, said there was a range of opinions on the matter.
He said the present mind of the Vatican was to keep the current practice, despite a perceived shortage of priests.
"Shortage is a relative term,” news.com.au quoted Father Lucas as saying.
"The discipline and practice of celibacy would be an obstacle for some. Others see it as important," he said.
In a similar tone, Father Dean Marin, director of vocations for the Adelaide Archdiocese, said the priesthood was a way of life.
“By remaining celibate, the priest witnesses to the possibility of living totally for God,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why