Pope wants action against clerics abusing kids
Vatican City: Pope Francis has called for "decisive action" in the fight against the sexual abuse of minors by priests and directed the Vatican watchdog on such cases to ensure the perpetrators were punished.
He told Bishop Gerhard Mueller, head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith - the Vatican watchdog nsex abuse cases - to ensure the perpetrators were punished, BBC reported Friday.
It was the Argentinian pope`s first public statement on clerical sex abuse. He was elected last month, replacing Pope Emeritus Benedict, who became the first pope in 600 years to resign.
When first elected, Benedict XVI had promised to obviate his Church of the "filth" of clerical sex abuse. But critics accused him of covering up abuse and failing to protect children from paedophile priests.
Victims of sex abuse by clergy had called for a strong response from the new pontiff to the crisis which has rocked the Church.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- LeJ terrorists involved in Lanka cricket team attack killed
- Five held for 'slaughtering' three cows in Maharashtra
- Delhi LG cancelled AAP govt order on compensation by discoms: Arvind Kejriwal
- Bihar flood toll reaches 156, twins born on boat
- Hinduism all about love, faith and intimacy with all: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat