Pope warns Catholics against `fashionable ideas`
Madrid: Pope Benedict XVI has appealed to young Catholics to resist the temptation to follow "fashionable ideas" and be "led by the whim of each moment."
Speaking to hundreds of thousands of faithful hours after
his arrival in Madrid, he urged them to base their lives on
"solid rock, resistant to the onslaught of adversity."
That is "in contrast to someone who builds on sand - we
would say today in what appears a paradise - but which
collapses with the first gust of wind and falls into ruins,"
the 84-year-old pontiff said in the address on a massive stage
in Madrid`s Plaza Cibeles.
"To all those who are content to follow fashionable ideas,
they take shelter in the here and now, forgetting true
justice, or they take refuge in their own opinions instead of
seeking the simple truth.
"Indeed, there are many who, creating their own gods,
believe they need no roots or foundations other than
themselves. They take it upon themselves to decide what is
true or not, what is good and evil, what is just and unjust;
who should live and who can be sacrificed in the interests of
other preferences; leaving each step to chance, with no clear
path, letting themselves be led by the whim of each moment.
"These temptations are always lying in wait. It is
important not to give in to them because, in reality, they
lead to something so evanescent, like an existence with no
horizons, a liberty without God…
"In the face of our weaknesses which sometimes overwhelm
us, we can rely on the mercy of the Lord who is always ready
to help us again and who offers us pardon in the sacrament of
Penance,” Pope said.
The pope arrived earlier yesterday in the sweltering
Spanish capital for the rock festival-style World Youth Day
festivities, which last until Sunday and which have drawn more
than a million pilgrims from around the world.
The visit and the festival have sparked protests by more
than 100 groups opposed to the huge costs amid an economic
Many of those in Spain`s 15-M "indignant" movement --
launched on May 15 against the management of the economic
crisis, soaring unemployment and political corruption -- also
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS