Pope`s ex-butler jailed for 18 months for stealing
London: Pope Benedict`s former butler was Saturday jailed for 18 months for stealing the pontiff`s private documents and leaking them to a journalist.
Paolo Gabriele`s leak to an Italian journalist of sensitive documents, some of them alleging corruption in the Vatican, caused one of the biggest crises of Pope Benedict`s papacy, Daily Mail reported.
He was convicted two hours after a three-judge panel began deliberating his fate Saturday. The prosecution had sought three years in prison for him.
In his verdict Judge Giuseppe Dalla Torre said the sentence was reduced because of mitigating circumstances including the fact that Gabriele had no previous record.
Gabriele stole thousands of highly sensitive documents the pontiff had marked "to be destroyed" and compromised Vatican security through his actions, the court heard.
In his final appeal, Gabriele told the court he acted completely out of deep, `visceral` love for the Roman Catholic Church and the pope he once worked for.
"I don`t feel like a thief," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India