Pope`s ex-butler jailed for 18 months for stealing
London: Pope Benedict`s former butler was Saturday jailed for 18 months for stealing the pontiff`s private documents and leaking them to a journalist.
Paolo Gabriele`s leak to an Italian journalist of sensitive documents, some of them alleging corruption in the Vatican, caused one of the biggest crises of Pope Benedict`s papacy, Daily Mail reported.
He was convicted two hours after a three-judge panel began deliberating his fate Saturday. The prosecution had sought three years in prison for him.
In his verdict Judge Giuseppe Dalla Torre said the sentence was reduced because of mitigating circumstances including the fact that Gabriele had no previous record.
Gabriele stole thousands of highly sensitive documents the pontiff had marked "to be destroyed" and compromised Vatican security through his actions, the court heard.
In his final appeal, Gabriele told the court he acted completely out of deep, `visceral` love for the Roman Catholic Church and the pope he once worked for.
"I don`t feel like a thief," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- British PM to trigger EU pull-out `without parliament vote`
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires