Pope`s former neighbour recalls his `love` letter
Buenos Aires: Amalia Damonte, the Argentine woman who grew up as neighbour of Pope Francis, says she was very briefly the object of his affections when they were both 12.
Amalia, now 76 like the pope, still lives four doors down from where Jorge Mario Bergoglio grew up in Buenos Aires.
Damonte says it was clear early on that he was thinking about dedicating his life to God.
She says in a handwritten letter he left for her, the future pontiff drew a picture of a little white house with a red roof and wrote "this is what I`ll buy when we marry."
He added: "If I don`t marry you, I`m going to be a priest." Damonte says her parents were angered by the missive and ended the friendship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened