Pope`s sister prayed cardinals wouldn`t choose him
Washington: The sister of Jorge Mario Bergoglio has revealed that in the past, she had prayed that the cardinals wouldn`t pick her brother to be the new Pope.
Maria Elena Bergoglio said she was in her home west of Buenos Aires last week when she heard the shocking news - that her brother was the new pope.
She said that during the previous conclave, she was praying for him not to be elected, as she didn`t want him to leave. She admitted it was a little selfish, reports the CNN.
However, this time around, Bergoglio said she changed her tone and prayed that the Holy Spirit would intervene and not listen to her.
She further said that thousands of miles away in Europe and in the highest office in the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church, her brother showed the same sense of humor he displayed since their childhood growing up in Argentina.
Bergoglio said it is clear that her brother- the first pope from Latin America - will be a pope for the masses.
She dismissed concerns raised by critics who accuse Francis of being complicit with Argentina`s brutal military dictatorship from the 1970s - an accusation the Catholic Church denies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'