Population set to cross 100 million in Chinese province
Beijing: Henan is set to become first
province in China with more than 100 million people later this
month, giving it a population size similar to the Philippines.
Largely rural Henan provides China with many migrant
workers who have helped transform the nation into the world`s
third biggest economy.
Henan`s population jumped from 40 million in the 1950s
to about 90 million in the 1990s.
Its population is poised to touch 100 million later
this month, the official media reported today.
The province would have an estimated 33 million
additional people if Beijing had not introduced the one-child
policy three decades ago, the report said.
Henan`s population was estimated to reach 107 million
by 2020, according to provincial family planning officials.
China is projected to have 1.39 billion citizens by
2015, up from 1.32 billion at the end of 2008.
China will begin its sixth census on November 1 which
was expected to cost about 1.2 billion dollars. Such a census
is held every 10 years.
The last one in 2000 put the population at more than
1.29 billion. China`s urban population is also set to overtake its
rural population for the first time by 2015, with the number
of people living in towns and cities set to top 700 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!