Pork, horse meat found in canned products in Bahrain
Manama: Bahrain`s health ministry has removed from market scores of canned meat products after a probe revealed they were "contaminated" with horse meat and pork.
The ministry earlier launched an investigation to collect samples of meat from the local markets, which were tested at its laboratories, Xinhua reported.
After testing 172 products, including minced meat, burgers and frozen meat, the ministry said it found horse meat and pork mixed with beef in several canned products.
"A total of 22 contaminated imported and processed meat products were found in the market. 16 products were found to have horse meat and six with pork," the ministry said in a statement.
The ministry said it will intensify tests of imported meat products to ensure they are "halal" (permissible to be eaten by Muslims).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire