Possible Berlos successor named senator for life
Rome: Mario Monti, cited as possible
successor to Italy`s outgoing prime minister, was on Wednesday
named a senator for life, a move some said was a sign that he
will lead the next government in Rome.
The nomination by Italian President Giorgio Napolitano
shows that Monti is the president`s only choice to succeed
Silvio Berlusconi as prime minister, according to political
commentator Enrico Mentana.
The move "re-enforces the hypothesis that (Monti) will
be the one to lead a government at a high technical and
institutional level, which seems to me the only solution to
this dramatic situation", said Giuliano Cazzola, a lawmaker
from Berlusconi`s PDL party.
In a statement from the presidency, Napolitano said the
nomination was based on Monti`s "merits in the social and
scientific domains", adding that the Berlusconi co-signed the
Monti, a 68-year-old economist, is now the director of
Milan`s prestigious Bocconi University --- considered the
training ground for Italy`s financial elite.
Monti was put forward as European commissioner in 1994
by Berlusconi`s first government and stayed on in Brussels
even after Massimo D`Alema took over as prime minister --
burnishing his image as being above party politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India