Post-Mubarak verdict, Egypt erupts in protest
Cairo: Protestors flooded Cairo’s Tahrir Square on Sunday in protest after life imprisonment was handed to former president Hosni Mubarak and former interior minister Habib El Adly while six former government aides were acquitted of charges of killing hundreds during Egypt`s 2011 revolution.
The protestors were angry at the acquittal of six government aides of Mubarak and waved Egyptian flags in protest at Cairo’s main square. Four interior ministry officials and two local security chiefs were cleared of complicity in protesters` killings.
Rallies against the verdict were also held in Alexandria, Suez and Mansoura.
Immediately after the verdict, Mubarak was transferred to prison in Southern Cairo.
Egypt`s ousted President Hosni Mubarak was on Saturday sentenced to life in prison after a court here found him guilty of complicity in the killing of protesters during a popular uprising against his 30-year rule, capping months of legal proceedings against the first Arab leader to be tried in person.
The verdict against Mubarak, the only dictator toppled in the Arab Spring to be tried in person, came ahead of the June 16-17 presidential runoff between his last Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq and Muslim Brotherhood`s Mohammed Morsi.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown