Post-Mubarak verdict, Egypt erupts in protest
Cairo: Protestors flooded Cairo’s Tahrir Square on Sunday in protest after life imprisonment was handed to former president Hosni Mubarak and former interior minister Habib El Adly while six former government aides were acquitted of charges of killing hundreds during Egypt`s 2011 revolution.
The protestors were angry at the acquittal of six government aides of Mubarak and waved Egyptian flags in protest at Cairo’s main square. Four interior ministry officials and two local security chiefs were cleared of complicity in protesters` killings.
Rallies against the verdict were also held in Alexandria, Suez and Mansoura.
Immediately after the verdict, Mubarak was transferred to prison in Southern Cairo.
Egypt`s ousted President Hosni Mubarak was on Saturday sentenced to life in prison after a court here found him guilty of complicity in the killing of protesters during a popular uprising against his 30-year rule, capping months of legal proceedings against the first Arab leader to be tried in person.
The verdict against Mubarak, the only dictator toppled in the Arab Spring to be tried in person, came ahead of the June 16-17 presidential runoff between his last Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq and Muslim Brotherhood`s Mohammed Morsi.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why