Post Obama victory, Hillary Clinton to make way for Susan Rice
Washington: Despite Barack Obama winning a second term as President of the US, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is all set to quit and make way for Susan Rice, the present US ambassador to the United Nations.
As per media reports, Thursday, Hillary is not keen to continue and plans to quit at the end of her four-year term in January, but will ensure a smooth transition with her successor which could mean remaining on the job into the early part of 2013.
Although President Obama is said to be keen that Hillary stays on but she is determined on her wish, after two decades in public life, to lead a personal life.
Interestingly, lingering suspicions persist that Hillary, now 65, might once contest to become America`s first women president in 2016, after being defeated by Obama in 2008. But publicly she has emphatically ruled this out.
The possible replacement, Susan Rice, is said to share a great relationship with Obama and is the frontrunner to take charge of the State department.
Rice will be the second African-American woman to hold the position; the first being Condoleeza Rice under George W Bush.
However, her reputation might now be tarnished over the fallout from the militant attack on the US mission in Libya.
The other name doing the rounds is that of National Security Adviser, Thomas Donilon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow