Potential for good ties between India, Pakistan: Raghavan
Lahore/New Delhi: The last few years have "shown the potential" which exists for good relations between India and Pakistan, said TCA Raghavan, who succeeds Sharat Sabharwal as the high commissioner to Pakistan.
Addressing mediapersons in Amritsar in India on Monday before crossing over to Pakistan, High Commissioner-designate Raghavan said he wanted to tackle the challenges and threats that India-Pakistan bilateral relations face.
Raghavan reached Lahore via the Wagah border.
"There is a change in environment in Pakistan and certainly that is very important. In my view the last few years have shown the potential which exists when there are good relations between India and Pakistan. At the same time there are a number of challenges and threats which are posed to bilateral relations. So my effort will be to move forward on all these issues," said Raghavan.
Raghavan, who has earlier served as deputy high commissioner in Islamabad from 2003 to 2007, is known as a diplomat with a thorough understanding of Pakistan`s political dynamics.
Outgoing Indian High Commissioner Sharat Sabharwal is expected to return to India by the end of this month, said Dawn.com.
A 1982-batch officer of the Indian Foreign Service (IFS), Raghavan was India`s high commissioner to Singapore and joint secretary of the Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran (PAI) division in the Ministry of External Affairs.
According to a report in the Pakistani media, Raghavan could have to wait for some time for presenting his credentials since President Asif Ali Zardari is away from the country on a private visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof