Poverty increasing in Egypt: Shura Council
Cairo: Poverty is on an increasing trend in
Egypt, the Upper House of Parliament announced on Thursday.
The Shura Council or Upper House of Parliament informed
that based on report of a research committee it had formed to
estimate the direction of poverty in Egypt it has been
ascertained that poverty is increasing in the country.
With the population touching 82 million the per capita
income has dropped and child labour has increased in Egypt.
Egyptians were also found to pay high costs for services such
The report said education standards have worsened and the
number of transportation accident victims have increased.
Studies show the number of accident victims in Egypt to
be 9000 annually.
In a conference of the Egyptian ruling party last year,
its organisational secretary Ahmad Izz had tried to convince
the attendees that poverty has decreased in Egypt by giving
statistics of the number of mobile subscribers and owners of
cars sold on credit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened