Power outage plunges Toronto, visiting Queen, into darkness
Ottawa: An explosion at a Toronto power
facility has plunged Canada`s largest metropolis into
darkness, and disrupted a state dinner for Queen Elizabeth II,
local media reported on Tuesday.
The blackout hit at about 5:30 local time (2130 GMT),
affecting the city`s subway, several commuter trains and
traffic lights at the height of the evening rush hour, said
public broadcaster CBC.
Some 250,000 people were also without electricity amid
an extreme heat alert, it said. Temperatures in the city hit
34 degrees Celsius.
The queen, at the end of a nine-day trip to Canada
with her husband, Prince Philip, was to attend a state dinner
hosted by Prime Minister Stephen Harper at the Royal York
Hotel in downtown Toronto, but the hotel was without power.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case